Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The Ediety Tie Knot (The "Merovingian")

So, I was in a fit of ennui with respect to all the standard tie knots out there, and quite frankly most old man knots don't work well on me because my neck is exceptionally small and my collars follow in suite (14 1/2" neck - try finding that size in men's clothing). The half-windsor is my knot of choice, it's easy to tie, easy to adjust, and easy on the material... However it's a ubiquitous knot that's somewhat status quo and safe.

Being the huge nerd  curious thinker that I am, I thought it would be amusing to attempt to tie the "Merovingian" knot from the Matrix, I had read about it being an esoteric iteration of a french knot.

This knot turns out to be a tricky one to tie, and I ended up modifying the sequence a wee bit because I like my knots to be symmetrical and this is one of those knots where you have to fight the material at each twist if you want it to look right (at least for me, maybe you knot experts out there would have no trouble.)

Here it is with my shirt and coat, forgive the weirdness of the dimples - I had taken the tie off and then put it back on. This messes up the dimples because you adjust the length with the "fat end" of the tie since one actually ties this using the small end, thus if you move it up and down in excess you'll change the dimples.


Here's what this knot would look like in a shirt and coat, standard look:





Closer look at the knot geometry, no flash.



Knot with flash, another look at the geometry:



An out of context picture of the knot (retied, you really can't take this tie off and on more than once). This helps you see the size of the knot better.



If you're interested in tying the knot google "ediety" knot, you'll end up on 1-2 videos and maybe 1-2 pdfs as well, each as cryptic and frustratingly simple as the next :)

- D

3 comments:

  1. Can't you just post the instructions on here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll look in to writing something coherent out. I've tied this knot so frequently since this post that I do think I could simplify it and articulate some pointers.

      Delete
    2. Not to rush you or anything with the simplified instructions..

      Delete